Monday, January 31, 2011

Here we go again!

UGH! I feel like I am always in this same position...the homeschool rut! I LOVE teaching and doing homeschool...but it seems as if I never am happy with the material, or the set up, or something! Well, this year we decided to do a charter school...I as in ME...I really like this school...it is easy for me, there is no planning, no scheduling, it's free, there is support, you have cool extras....there are lots of things that make it easier for ME...some of the kids like it and some don't...I'm ok with that. I don't expect all the kids to like every single thing we do. My issue now is this...my husband (I do think he's right) thinks that things are moving too fast. They introduce a new math concept daily and my oldest student is having a hard time! For example, they introduced multiplication for the third graders and they stayed on it for only 4 days...tops. They had them do up 3 tables a day! Then after the 4 days they were on to something new. I LOVE the younger grades in this school...they cover all that I could dream of! Another issue is time, this school takes a lot of time and there is not much wiggle room as far as days off goes. But then, planning regular homeschool takes a lot of time too! I can't really take days off of my choice freely...which "I" like...I NEED that! In years past, I have been known to get sucked into many different things and not do as good of a job on school as I should have! This school keeps attendance, records, EVERYTHING! No need to get a GED or do a diplomacy program...great for "me"...and them, really. But are they learning....really learning?? Another example....for third grade they touched on Lewis & Clark...it was one PARAGRAPH! For 5th grade...the Boston Tea Party was a chapter! There is so much more to learn here! I try to weight the pros and cons...I am really struggling. This school year has been the most organized, and on task year we have had to date! The kids HAVE to do their lessons because it's a public school online, they would have serious repercussions if they didn't....in the same breath...we got behind while I was tending to the hearts of people who are in need....when the kids might not feel well, I still push them through school because we HAVE to do it...this is good and bad. Good, because it teaches them perseverance, and bad because they should be able to rest. In the past, I found myself taking too many sick days...I am a push-over. This school helps me stay focused and on task. There is no time left to supplement any extra materials, and the curriculum moves too fast to even add anything extra. I am not sure what to do! Here are my;
Pros
1. free books
2. free support
3. free record keeping
4. keeps me and kids accountable
5. no planning for me, it's all done
6. lots of free resources available, and I DO use them...a lot!
7. love the structure..
8. teaches kids and myself to keep plugging along, even when we want a day off...much needed for a softy, like myself
9. don't have to make a portfolio
10. don't have to have an evaluation
11. don't have to figure out diploma issues
12. free computers
13. they pay for your internet use


Cons
1. secular education, which we are adapting to by teaching them this is what the world thinks, and here is what the Bible says is true.
2. curriculum moves too fast
3. too much work to do
4. would have to pay LOTS of money for books for this many kids
5. not enough time for the fun stuff
6. no wiggle room
7. have to do PSSA's with a class and not with the evaluator
8. too strict
9. I have to figure out what to teach them and make sure they learn all they should, this scares the day lights out of me!
10. if I didn't do this school, I would have to search for and buy books,,,takes up $ and time.


To be honest only #'s 1,2,5,6 bother me at all. Any suggestions would be great! Here is what my wish list would be...
not too much planning as I don't have much free time (although, for my kids education I would MAKE the time if need be)
it would have to be cheap...I don't have much money
it would need to be organized

my head is spinning, and I'm not sure what I want to do. I just need to find something and stick with it! I thought this was it.....intil hubby told me his thoughts...HELP! LOL

1 comment:

  1. This is why I love ambleside online. And this is something I've always wondered. For the cons you listed, you said that you have to basically detox them from parts of the curriculum that aren't your standards and replace their thinking with what the bible says. To me this always seems to be a time stealer. If I want them to know what the bible says then I teach them what it says without all the teachings of what the world thinks. So a suggestion would be, can you at all pan out those teachings that are popping up in the curriculum and not even take time on it?

    There are many online free, awesome curriculums that could work if money is a matter. And there are several that offer already written schedules for each grade as well. I have many resources listed on my homeschool blog that may help you with the many choices available.

    Good luck,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete