Monday, November 22, 2010

Should we compare?

We went to my SIL's house yesterday for Thanksgiving dinner. We had a great time! We were feeling some better. BUT...we had kids throwing up before we got out of her drive way for the LONG 2 hour van ride home! EEK!
Anyway....I was thinking about something. I always feel a mix of defeat and inspiration when leaving someones house that is so neat an organized. Strange...how can I feel both of those things at once?? The first feeling I get is the inspiration. My SIL's house is always so organized....she's not a big decorator or has a fancy house, it's small and simple. Yet, she has it so put together. She has everything in totes with labels, bookshelves organized, and everything else in a neat order. This makes me feel like I can't wait to get home to get started on my own simple little house. Then after I walk into my door....this is when the other emotion sets in....defeat! My SIL only has two children, 10 and 17, and her 17 yr old's boyfriend stays with them so he can work at a BIG farm by their house (he lives 3 hrs away) but he's 20. I have 7 kids from 3-10 living here and I babysit two other 4 yr olds! My house is NEVER going to look like hers!! Why should I even kill myself by comparing? I walked into a clean house and within 15 mins. it looked like a bomb went off...we had kids throwing up, kids in time-out, a fire to build as it was only 55 degrees in the house...animals to care for, diapers to change, and a van full of stuff to bring in! What makes my mind think I could organize a bookshelf with books in order by topic and seasonal and have the KIDS USE this bookshelf and still keep it perfect like hers? What makes me think 7 small children will keep all the little parts to their toys organized and with the toy it should go with and in the correct container?? What makes me think I WANT to live like this?? It works for her because her kids are older and they are busier and not home as much as we are...there are a million reason that her home can stay like that....and it's GREAT for her! Yes, I would love my home to be neatly organized....but guess what, it's NOT! and it's OK!! I would have to make everyone miserable to keep my home like this, so I will try a bit harder after Christmas to keep things more organized, and sorted....like the attic, so I know where things are, and my homeschool books.....they don't touch those...that's ALL Me...and I can do better, but I need to accept this lot in life and not feel defected by someone else's life...Insoiration is good...and needed at times...defeat is not...:0)

No comments:

Post a Comment