Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What Our Day Looks Like

It has been a few weeks since we started back with trditional homeschooling, after doing a charter school at the beginning of the year. Our days are running much better now :0) We were having a lot of issues with timing and getting thngs done and keeping kids on task. Another big problem I had was knowing what to do with all the little kids...they were mostly running "wild" while I was trying to get everything the charter school required done. We are much happier now. I thought I would give you a peek at what our new schedule looks like.

8:00 breakfast
8:30-9:00 chores
9:00-9:15 or so is devotions as a family
9:15-11:00 the big kids all have folders with the work they can do on their own (spelling, grammar, writing, math, and reading) During this time I have all 6 small ones with me...we do circle time where we sing and read books, then we go to the table and we all do lessons together and on special occasions we all watch a PBS kids show and then do a coloring sheet to go with it.
11:00-11:30 lunch
11:30-12:45 break time
12:45-1:00 clean up time for all
1:00-3:00 little ones rest/nap while big ones sit at the table with me and I do a read aloud and then a comprehension sheet we make up ourselves, science (M & T) and social studies and civics (W & Th), during this time we do other things we "want" to do...at the moment we are doing a poetry unit. We watch movies that go along with our subjects and read lots of books and take notes...we draw tons of pictures in our notebooking...
Things are going SO much better, I really like the "schedule" we are on! things happen and we don't always stick to the time of everything...but most days we do!
Fridays are different...we do art, gym, spelling tests, library trips, cooking/baking, and any field trips...things like that! I am working on fitting it "all" in, but feel so much more freedom at what to teach and do...it's great!

3 comments:

  1. your morning start like ours, but we have naps at 11 and lunch at 2pm and dinner at 6pm... I think this is a Dutch thing to have a late lunch and dinner.

    I like having a routine but am flexible for when "life" happens :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad things are going well for you with schooling!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,

    I'm glad that your new schedule is working for you. It sounds like a very well-planned day.

    -Lady Rose

    ReplyDelete