Thursday, December 30, 2010

Money Talk

Let's talk money! We are making a plan and new budget to get out of debt before the end of 2o12....I know...it's a LONG term goal...but we are in a lot of debt! So, I think I will try to devote Friday's to thinking about ways to save, budget, and keep on track. I am frugal by nature and love a good deal...so I will be re-visiting my old ways of saving and trying to think of new ways. I must say I fell into the world of convenience while adjusting to my all the sudden large family last year! We went from 2 kids to 7 kids in a year~ that was a BIG change! We are all settled, adopted, homeschooled....now is the time to take our finances seriously and be good stewards of all the Lord has blessed with! We are going to make our budget tomorrow...but I have a few ideas in my head for saving some money already!

~ Make more SIMPLE meals...like tonight was spaghetti,meatballs, garlic bread...we don't need so much variety all the time!

~ Serve more natural and filling foods...we will eat less if we eat more filling foods, not chips and junk.

~ Drink water all day except for one drink of juice and one drink of milk.

~ work on making sure lights are off when we are not using them.

~ Try creative things to make new outfits with clothes we already have....this will be especially for the little ones who share clothes.

~ Make sure we wait 4 days before buying anything we don't NEED....during the 4 day period we need to see if we can make do without it or figure out another way to do the job (so to speak)

~ make homemade snacks...like a slice of toast...something SIMPLE...not pre-packaged stuff!

~ Eat the portion size that's correct! We always eat WAY too much!

~ Don't even "thrift shop" for fun! Only when there is a NEED!!

~ Save one of my babysitting paychecks for Christmas shopping for next year

Those are just a few of the things I should be doing...and am excited about doing!

Another thing I am wondering is what is an appropriate food budget for a family of 9...we are all home all day (except hubby, but I pack his meals...so he eats our boughten food) and I babysit 2 children all day....What is your food budget?

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! We do pretty much all that is on your list, we too are trying to get rid of debt (mine fault, university cost a lot, wish I would have learn to be frugal and good steward of my money or borrowed money before The Lords save me, but I guess he still is using this to teach me lots now!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    I think you meant, "2012."

    But that is a great goal! I know you can do it, and you know that I'm always here if you need any help. Oh how I love thinking of ways to save money and make things less expensive. :-)

    I have a post coming out tomorrow about our income. I dont think anyone but me (I dont think Todd even knows how much WE make together. I do the finances.) I have always been open about our debt, but I thought it may be refreshing to post our income. When you compare our debt to income ratio, it was pretty shocking in January of 2010 when we started to pay down our debt. We owed 40% of our combined income to debt. Today, we are down to 11% debt.

    I will be your biggest chearleader. As Dave Ramsey says, "Change your family tree!" Meaning get out of debt and build wealth to be able to pass down to your children, your children's children, and your children's children's children.

    I love you and am praying for you and the family.

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Meg... I fixed the year! LOL!!!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete